Saturday, June 3, 2017

Mafé and Me; Cookin’ with Camissa

Here’s the thing, back home in America I never cooked. In fact, I somewhat loathed the idea of it. The heat, the preparation process, and especially the clean-up. It takes time and you have to do it every day because well you gotta eat, right?
Get this, I cook and bake all the time here now. That is right, Olivia/Tiguida cooks and ENJOYS IT.
Thanks to amazing Senegalese women who have taken me under their wing, I have learned how to prepare some traditional Senegalese dishes that I will hopefully (fingers cross) cook when I go back to America.

Without further ado, let me introduce you all to a dish called Mafé. 

Ingredients
- Rice
- Peanut Butter 
- Water

- Okra 
- Hot Pepper
- Pepper, Seasonings
- Onion


Step One: Steam the Rice in a bowl over a fire until it is softer. Traditionally. in Senegal there is a bowl that has boiling water and then rice in a separate bowl in the top. The women tie a piece of fabric around the boiling pot to create the steam that cooks the rice. Then they add the rice to the boiling water to finish cooking it. 


Step Two: Get a second bowl and add water and peanut butter sauce to the pot. Add in mushed up okra, onions, hot pepper and different seasonings. Let it simmer and wait till it gets thicker. 










Step 3: Enjoy over rice and add some more hot pepper (if you dare!) 


I have had this meal more times than I can count, but it never gets old...not yet anyways. 

Look out for my next Senegalese dish of Rice and Fish! 



No comments:

Post a Comment