Sunday, August 27, 2017

Cooking with Seynabou: Macaroni Sauce #Sweet2Senegal

Okay, this is a late post about an amazing meal. I ate it everyday during Ramadan, it is still my favorite and deserves its own post. In Bambara, this meal is called, “Macaroni Sauce.” No joke.

This meal is only served by my host family during Ramadan when we broke the fast for our first dinner. Side note, if you missed my blog about Ramadan click here.

It was my favorite not only because I didn’t eat anything all day, but because it had fresh fish, macaroni and french fries....YUM! Now, don’t squirm away just yet...it is actually pretty good!

Wanna know how to make it? Read below:


What you need:

-          Macaroni

-          2 Fish

-          4 Onions

-          4 Potatoes

-          1 sache of cooking oil

-          2 Tapalapa bread loaves

-          2 packets of Adja seasons

Instructions:

1)     Start by making the fish meatballs by adding in chopped onions and rolling them  as balls on a plate.


2)     Create a fire (ovens work too...) and fry the fish meatballs in cooking oil. Once they are done and cooked, remove them from the pot into another bowl.


3)     With the oil still in there, add in the potatoes and onions together until they are done.


4)     With the potatoes and meat done, add them all in together and add in water and macaroni with the Adja seasoning. Let it boil until completed.


5)     Once the macaroni is cooked, serve the meal in a large bowl and add in the bread to the bowl.


6)     Enjoy!

Seynabou is an amazing host aunt and we laughed the entire time making this meal because she knows I love it! Although I have to wait until next Ramadan to eat this meal every day, my family agreed to make it for my birthday just because it is a special occasion! So on September 1st, you know what I will be eating for dinner.

2 comments: