Sunday, January 17, 2016

New {Teach} on the Block #firstweek

Who is that at the front of the room again?

10th Grade Animal Science making dog and cat treats!
This week was like being the new kid at school and having a lot of attention on who I was and what in the world I was doing at the school. The funny stares and the whispers that I could hear in the back of the class of "who is that?" or "what was her name again?," made me laugh and remember what it was like for me when I moved to a different school. It was  going back into my childhood and you know what, sure enough I felt like a kid again this week!

I have the privilege to work with two Walter Biddle Saul High School teachers who have made my transition to Philadelphia easier than ever. Their constant tips, sharing of lesson plans, and of course their same love of Dunkin' Donuts coffee has made this new place feel like home.

Every week, I will be documenting my thoughts and reflections about my student teaching internship that I am completing. Fair warning to readers, I expect that there will be pros and cons of this process, but I am excited to share with all of you the journey that will be happening over this next semester!


So, let's break down week one <<<<<< Scary how fast this goes!


The Philadelphia Notebook taking pictures of our students.
Pros: I played the role of interviewer and personally got to know ALL of my 12th graders in my Environmental Science class. 30 students, one student teacher, and 8 questions, stood between me and the awkward silence that I was receiving from them. Boy, was this fun! My students all have unique and interesting personalities that as the interviews went on, I was getting more and more excited as I kept talking with them. I seriously have some awesome kiddos.

Another pro that happened, W.B. Saul is pretty famous! I was able to interact with the Philadelphia Notebook as they interviewed some of my students about the greenhouses, gardens, and "Farm to Cafeteria" program that Saul currently has. Look out world, W.B. Saul is doing awesome things!  

Cons: My classroom management is going to be tested this semester BUT I believe that I am ready. Do you remember in high school when the infamous "senioritis" kicked in and you were so excited to graduate and go to college? Well my friends, my seniors are there. Although I don't feel that I had an issue with them one on one, the group setting of me teaching will be a great experience to build up my confidence and teach these kids a lesson or two!

Overall thought of the week: "Education is what you get from reading the fine print. Experience is what you get from not reading it."

I believe that Penn State has prepared me to the best of their abilities to get me to where I am today. I believe that right now, I need to take a step back, breathe, be confident, and do what I came here to do: TEACH!

As I prepare for this next week, I am thankful for my students and teachers that are ready to make mistakes with me through this process and of course Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

Until next week Ag Ed Fam.



1 comment:

  1. Olivia,
    I am so happy that you can see the opportunities from lessons of your youth and translate them to this experience.
    I look forward to scheduling our visit soon!
    DF

    ReplyDelete