Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Micro-Teaching and Parli Pro #psuaged16

I now call this blog to order! Welcome to the only blog of my micro-teaching experience from Bald Eagle High School! I had the opportunity to teach an FFA Leadership class on Parliamentary Procedures last week.
If you haven’t heard about micro-teaching, it is awesome program that gives preservice teachers a chance can go out into the “field” and get some experience teaching in a different classroom environment than where they will be student teaching in the spring. It is the chance to create and implement your own lesson plans in the classroom and see if they work. I was under the supervision of Mr. Todd Biddle teaching to his class of 13 students. Let’s jump in and see what happened!

Day One:
- I opened up the class with an introduction of Parliamentary Procedures with a PowerPoint and guided notes.
- Emphasizing different aspects of Parli Pro and making them relatable to their experiences really helps their understanding
- Repeat after me, is not as childish as they think! They learned a lot of the terminology and how to say motions this way!
Day Two:
- I needed to get their energy up, so we did a recap and then proceeded to play a GAME!
            - If your students need debate help, I played a game where they had to debate about a topic positively or negatively and include the three parts of a beginning statement, a middle statement, and then the conclusion! PLUS: if you make it into a competition the students get really into it!
- Talking was a little bit of an issue today, but the students were just really excited!
- I need to be aware of the amount of time! We all got into the class that the bell rang and surprised us all!
Day Three:
- TEST TIME! The students took a test about what they learned. I also allowed them to use Roberts Rules of Order and their notes from the week because it was more important for me to have them understand the subject matter than memorize it!
- Debate Time: The students had the opportunity to debate about two things that Mr. Biddle wanted to talk about regarding Farm Show and their Secret Santa Party that they have every year
- Getting the students talking was a little hard, but once I put motions on the floor that the students didn’t like/like they got really into it!
So what did I learn over these three days?
- My energy and passion for what I was teaching did not go unnoticed! The students were engaged most of the time while they were there and liked the games that we played
- Preparation! As a student, it is hard to understand what prep goes into each lesson and how I need to be on top of my game all the time!
- Being Flexible! There were some instances where the lesson before me wasn’t wrapped up and I had to switch the students to think in different gears to what we were learning next.
- Just have fun! When you are relaxed and having fun, your students will too! They pick up on bad energy and feed off of that. Just relax and have fun!
 
 Overall, I had a blast teaching and learning about where I am about and how I am progressing for the spring semester at Walter Biddle Saul High School!

Thanks for reading Ag Ed Fam!

No comments:

Post a Comment