Saturday, February 13, 2016

Advice Seeking {Teach} on the Block! #weekfive

“Adventure is out there!” One of my favorite quotes from the famous movie “Up!” was an inspiration to me this week. This week I was able to represent my school at a meeting with a student, start teaching my Animal Science class, initiate our classroom instruction in a greenhouse, and attend ACES 2016 with some stellar students.

With all those activities you would think that it was a relaxing week and I had everything together huh? Well yes and no is the answer to that! Let’s break down week….5!

Pros:
Listen, I consider myself to be an animal lover don’t get me wrong. However, rodents and other small animals intimidate me especially in a teaching scenario. This week was the first week I was teaching my Small Animal Science class. These students are expected to know how to handle, clean, and care for these animals that we have at the school. This week I was a student, a teacher, and an observer (talk about a lot of roles!). In high school I was involved in agriculture classes but I never learned how to handle rodents, rabbits, and dogs in a classroom setting. Teaching the students but still making sure I was watching the entire classro

om was a great learning process that I am glad I was able to take on this week!

The next thing that happened this week was this suburb girl went into the big city of Philadelphia to attend the Philadelphia Urban Horticulture Societies quarterly meeting with an FFA student. This was a role that I haven’t played before because typically I was always the one in the FFA jacket! My student and I learned a lot about how urban agriculture plays a role in the city and we were also able to share out with others what we were doing as well at Saul High School! Talk about an awesome night!

Although the week was over, I wasn’t done yet! I was able to hang out with my students this past weekend at the ACES conference in Harrisburg! If you want to know about that experience, read the next blog that is going to follow!

Cons:
This week wasn’t as crazy as last week and I honestly feel that it was one of my top weeks since being here at Walter Biddle Saul High School and for that I am certainly grateful. However, I have noticed a “con” that I think will affect me in coming weeks.

In my Environmental Science class, we teach students about urban agriculture and implement it with our land and greenhouses that we have available. As awesome as it is to have all of the resources and accessibility to a working farm, my students are less than pleased to go outside during classroom time (crazy right?!). My students do not like going outside and some will sneak off and not present for the remainder of class until we go back inside.

 So agriculture educators, here is the question that I am going to pose to you: 

“What are ways that I can make my students accountable without threatening the grades? 
and.... 
“How can I make them see the value of what we are doing to show that it is relevant in their futures?”

I hope to not have this as a “con” in later weeks, so I would appreciate some input from all of you!

Reflection for the week: As much as I hate to quote TSwizzle “Shake it off!” This week was a great week and although there were some classroom management problems that I dealt with, I am now seeing that I have been changed from this experience. No longer am I letting these down days get the best of me. I have challenged myself to push through obstacles and not get worked up over the tiny things. As well as I am now starting to think like a teacher and notice problems before they happen and address them!


I can’t wait for next week to come and I look forward to reading your responses to my questions listed above! 

No comments:

Post a Comment