Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The 6th ACES #studentteaching


Agricultural Cooperation Establishes Success. What a mouthful, but what a powerful event that impacts the lives of our high school students through agriculture leadership activities and learning.
This year was my 6th year attending this conference, but it was different to me in a HUGE way. This year, instead of being a student in the blue jacket or being a facilitator for the workshops, I was an advisor of 43 amazing Walter Biddle Saul students.

The theme this year was “Past, Present, and Future. Telling Our Story.” What a great theme to educate our students about FFA, agriculture, and leadership.

We started off the week arriving at the Harrisburg Sheraton in a sea of Blue and Gold jackets with the hope of a great weekend. Even though it was Valentines weekend, my students were excited to be there and meet new people.

While my students were in the workshop, I had a great opportunity to learn about drones and GPS systems that we can use on our agriculture fields. Although it was a very interesting workshop, I was anxious to get back to my students and see how their days were going. As I snuck out, I took a couple of pictures of their experiences in the workshops which are down below!

As the day concluded and the students enjoyed an awesome dinner followed by a dance, I had to step up my advisor game and scope out the hallway after curfew. Luckily I was with my fellow student teachers as we scoped out the halls and let students know that curfew meant lights out. It was funny to reminisce about when I was a student and I was on the other side of the door. Folks, it was ironic that I was the enforcer and not the instigator!

The following day as ACES, we all concluded with a community service workshop and wrote letters to kids and students at Penn State for THON this weekend.

Overall, this trip was an incredible experience and I am so happy that I was able to spend time with my students outside of the classroom. I feel as a teacher we forget that our students have personalities outside of the classroom and they can be kinda fun to hang out with in a relaxed setting. Being a part of the transition from student to facilitator to student teacher/advisor has been a great way for me to see how I have grown at the same conference that I have always loved!

I look forward to many more journeys as an Ag teacher and I look forward to SLLC next month!

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment