Sunday, February 7, 2016

Always Learning {Teach} on the Block #weekfour


At the Union League in Philadelphia
Time flies when you are having fun. A common saying that most of us have been told whether we were having fun or not. 4 weeks in, and boy have I learned a lot. From helping run a field trip, to managing my classroom, to the never ending task of grading mountains of paperwork before grades were due this week. Yes my Ag Ed Family, I now hear your cries that an agriculture teachers work is never done.

So, let’s talk about week four.

Pros: Sometimes you have to role with the punches, be okay that you are on an emotional roller coaster, and never forget to shake the day off and come back the next morning fresh and ready to go. This week, my 12th grade Environmental Science class was invited to go to the Union League in Philadelphia to accept a brand new compost bagger for the school! It was an amazing experience for the students to see what it is like to eat and sit in a formal setting and be able to communicate with people that are making a difference in the agriculture community.

Another awesome thing that started this week was starting the infamous FFA Scrapbook. The amount of work, cutting out paper and photographs, gluing and taping, is enough work for any group that would want to take it on! So, me planning ahead, decided that this would be the perfect time to start on the project. Bring it on scrapbook!

Last but not least, teaching for a full week had made me realize that teachers have a certain endurance that not typical people have. This week has made me realize that I am not at that teaching endurance just yet.

Cons: “You are not in Cumberland County anymore,” were my exact thoughts for this week. Growing up, I was very privileged to be taught how to act with adults and in a professional setting. My students were confused and even angry that there was a dress code that they had to adhere to on the field trip to the Union League. One student in particular decided not to wear the FFA Jacket and tie which angered me because that jacket meant so much to me in high school. His grade was impacted and in the future I do not think we will have the same issue.

Another issue that I witnessed this week was a teacher’s worse nightmare. Issuing out my first quiz, a fight broke out in the hallway and everything stopped. Students ran to the hall to watch, some stayed, but I personally entered into fight or flight mode. Running out to the hall, I helped a teacher separate the two and then left them to deal with security officers. All in a matter of minutes chaos erupted all around and I had to deal with it.

Overall thought for the week: Life goes on. After the fight broke out and I walked back into the room with my class, I realized that there was still a quiz that needed to be finished. Calming the class down and finishing the quiz I was able to turn the class around, get our work done, and teach till the bell. This week has taught me about how I personally deal with conflict, how I can turn my class from chaos to calm, and has ultimately made me a better (student) teacher this week.

So cheers to last week and your many challenges, you will not be missed. I will be looking forward to coming into school on Monday with a brand new set of eyes and clean start to the week.

1 comment:

  1. You keep rocking girl. You keep doing it cause you are doing it right!

    ReplyDelete