Sunday, April 17, 2016

Community Based Unit of Instruction #AgLearning

I knew that I always wanted to be a teacher because I enjoy seeing the light bulb moment go off for every student that is in my classroom. For my Community Based Unit of Instruction, we were challenged with creating a lesson plan that would involve the community in a unit that we were teaching in the classroom. What better way to do that than to teach 4th and 5th graders about Animal Safety and Handling at Saul High School with my 10th grade Animal Science students!

For the introduction period when the new 10th graders arrive in Small Animal Science, there is a pressure to understand how to properly handle an animal and the procedures that go with it. After introducing each of the animals to all the students (Gerbils, Guinea Pigs, Rabbits, Hamsters, Rats, Mice, and Dogs), they had to meet with me and show me all of the procedures for handling and taking care of the animals by themselves. This was no easy task for these students because along with proving to me that they understood it, they had to write a “How To” book and complete it for points in my class.

After I knew that they were all pro’s with handling and understanding all of the steps, a unique opportunity presented itself where a Philadelphia school called Jenks Elementary was looking at working with the Environmental Science students about planting and taking a look at our CSA. After talking with all of the teachers involved with the process, I was able to get the students in the morning and then they could do the environmental portion in the afternoon!

So what did we do you may be thinking? As the students started to pile in, I separated my students into the different rooms of the Animal Science building for the elementary students to see. With one day of all 4th graders and then the next day with all 5th graders, my students became experts on what we were doing this day and did it without a problem or hesitation!


Overall, this day was awesome. I wandered around and watched my students teach younger ones about animal handling and the procedures that they do every Tuesday and Thursday when they come to the lab during class time. It was even funny to hear that they were using the same words that I used to teach them and they were all very patient. My work was completed when teaching these students about these procedures and I am excited to see what they remember when they are seniors in Ms. Turrentine's classroom in the future! 

1 comment:

  1. Really amazing project Olivia! I am sure that ALL the students learned a lot during this process!

    ReplyDelete