Monday, April 4, 2016

Travelin’ {Teach} on the Block! #week12 #weeklyblog


This week flew by as fast as my car did down the Pennsylvania Turnpike (seriously people it was like NASCAR). Not only did I travel to Lancaster Country for a PAAE meeting, I traveled to State College twice in one week, in one car, all by my lonesome! So without further ado, wave the green flag and let’s break down the week with our Pros and Cons.

Pros

Animal Science: Wow what a week that was had here in this class! From learning about diseases to completing our Community Based Unit of Instruction, my students were busy! Now, I am not one to know a lot about diseases and how they affect animals. A part from what I learned at Penn State I was clueless. So what do you do in this situation? Let my students teach me! My students worked hard on creating zoonosis projects and PowerPoints that they were supposed to complete and then present them in front of the class. Not only have I been student teaching, but now my students have been able to see what it is like to be a teacher for a change!

Environmental Education: My students got their green thumb on this week! After hanging out with our Jenks students (4th-5th grade students) and teaching them how to plant and transplant.... my students were asked to create a daring task of transplanting over 1,860 kale plants in our community CSA! What an experience that was! Planting the CSA was hard work and it was challenging on my students as well but thanks to my Penn State education on handling students and using the rapport that I had  built with them already, it was nice to see an impact that we were making on the CSA to support the next harvest.

Cons:

I really pushed my students this week as well as myself. After traveling to State College twice in one week and traveling to Lancaster for the PAAE meeting, I was tired! It is amazing to see that the amount of energy I could have used in my lesson was spent driving the car up and down the turnpike. Although there weren’t any major cons in my teaching this past week, I wish I could have had a couple of more hours of sleep to put that in my lessons that could have been stellar!

Overall, this internship is FLYING by! I cannot wait to see what this week has to offer, including seeing the famous Dr. Foster back here at Saul High School!

Thanks for reading AG Ed Fam!

No comments:

Post a Comment