Monday, April 4, 2016

I’m not in Philly anymore! #visitingTate #psuaged16

Lampeter-Strasburg Senior High School is a welcoming school in the middle of Lancaster, Pennsylvania that has an exceptional agriculture program with of course an exceptional agriculture student teacher that goes by the name of the one and only Mr. Mason Tate. On March 22nd I had the opportunity to get out of the city and explore a high school that was different than mine that offered their students a unique opportunity in agriculture.


When I first arrived and got out of my car, there was farms everywhere so my expectations were high about what was to come when touring their agriculture program. As I walked through the school there was an entire side of the school that showed off their FFA accomplishments and projects in the windows at the school to show off their FFA pride. When I arrived at Mr. Tate’s classroom, he was in the middle of introducing the class to the Dairy Science unit that they were just beginning.
Continuing on with his day, he had a break to prepare for his shop class that he taught with seven high school boys in attendance. Boy, was that fun watching Mason get into his element! I am not one for Agriculture Mechanics (I’m trying, I swear!) but the way that Mason explained certain welds to students or helped coach them up on whatever project they were working on, it was great to see his perspective on how we handled his wild high school boys.


After the Ag Mech class, we then moved onto his Veterinary 2 class that actually got Mason out of his comfort zone from what I noticed! It was nice to see Mason being pushed into this class of (yes all of them were girls with one boy!) and seeing him go over materials to deliver an awesome lesson for his students! Watching Mr. Tate teach was a real treat!

One big take away that I noticed from his class was the way that his white board was set up! It is not something that I implement in my class but it is an objective/assignment board to keep him on task and ready to go. It was nice to see that it helped him and his students for what was going on that day!
Overall, I had a fantastic time at Lampeter- Strasburg. It is awesome watching Mason develop since knowing him at Penn State to where he is now today at the student teaching level! I am confident that Mason will do great things in and out of the classroom for his students and I know he will make a FANTASTIC teacher in the future.


Keep up the awesome work Mason! I will see you soon!

1 comment:

  1. It was great having you Liv! Thanks for all the kind words!

    ReplyDelete