Saturday, April 9, 2016

Not Ready to Leave {Teach} on the Block! #week13 #psuaged16


Working in the Greenhouse at the CSA
Can we just take a second and realize that it is the end of week 13? Like holy guacamole, this is real. My student teaching experience has two weeks left and I don’t know if I am ready to let go just yet!

Moving on from my pity party, let’s talk about this past week. Per usual we are going to break down the week with the pros and the cons from what I did in my Animal Science and my Environmental Science classes.


Pros

Animal Science: This week I really challenged my students and brought them around Philadelphia and around Saul’s campus. What was going on you may ask? TONS of fun stuff! At Saul, our lamb herd was ready to start having their lambs which occurred ALL week and is still going on (Check out Saul’s EWEtube here). I was able to tie in what we were learning in class with some of the Animal Science students to look at different situations that could happen with these young lambs. On Thursday, the USDA was hosting a career day that my students were able to attend for half the day. They were able to explore different industries in the USDA and potentially see themselves working with this organization. Last but not least, my students still had their original chores that they all completed and we even had room to start discussing our next project which is an animal welfare debate... more to come!

Tuesday Night Lambs!
Environmental Science: The week got even more extreme for theses seniors in my class! From our class visitor from Morris Arboretum, working at our local CSA, and then mixing their love of basketball with environmental education, my students were all over the place! After my visit with the famous Dr. Foster, it really stuck out to me that I need to start pushing my students and myself in doing different lesson plans that get me out of my comfort zone. What better than having this week to practice my teaching and my lesson plans?! So that is exactly what I did. Of course it was a lot of fun and games, there was still work that needed to be done. My students had to transplant over 2,100 plants of lettuce at the CSA and were responsible for different parts of the area from broad-forking our greenhouse to planting rows of peas, my students were busy!

Cons: For this week, as much as I don’t like to admit it I was pushed a lot out of my comfort zone. There were classroom management issues, my school went into crisis mode, and I was pushed from lack of sleep from volunteering to check on the lambs every night at 11pm and 2 am. I was getting into the swing of things and it really caught up with me.

Overall thought: I am lucky to be at a school that has challenged me as a teacher and a person. Although there were the stresses from the field trip, the animal lab being broken into, a school in crisis mode, and work that still needed to be completed at the CSA, it made me realize that THIS is what agriculture teachers do. They bounce back and adjust their auto-pilots because there is still a job to do and that is to TEACH. We are responsible for these students and we have a job to be the best agriculture teacher that these kids have.

Bring on Week 4 and the lambs that are not born yet! I am ready for you!

Thanks for reading Ag Ed Fam!

1 comment: